Sunday, January 20, 2013

Frugal Fruit Jellies

These are delicious, healthy and frugal! Perfect!

I made these fruit jellies using this recipe for inspiration . I adapted it as I often do and the results were these wonderful jewel like jellies that I could easily eat all by myself!


My version of the recipe goes like this:

220 ml of freshly squeezed orange juice
6 TBSP of gelatin powder
4 TBSP of honey

That's it for the ingredients!

  • In a pot whisk together all the ingredients until there are no lumps. (Don't worry if it looks a little brown at this stage, it sets orange.
  • Stir over a low heat until the honey and gelatin have dissolved then pour into molds.
  • Freeze for 10 minutes then they are ready to eat.

They stay firm when store at room temperature although I am not sure how long for and I doubt ours will last long enough to find out!

I used mixture of ice cube squares and chocolate molds.   The most successful of these was the bar shaped chocolate molds and the ice cube tray. I found that the other molds were to shallow and the jellies didn't hold up to being removed from the mold. No doubt deeper molds would have worked. I don't see why this mix could have been poured straight into a shallow dish and then cut into squares if you want even quicker results.


In yummery: These are delicious and definitely a recipe to keep. There's lots of scope to try different juices and sweeteners. I did read somewhere that pineapple juice reacts badly to gelatine so I wouldn't recommend pineapple. 
There is no added sugar, all the sweetness came from the oranges and honey. The over-riding taste for these was honey so next time I think I will halve the honey.
There's also no artificial coloring so that's automatically an improvement on lollies and boxed jelly.
I will be interested to see how these handle being in a lunch box and if they will go on cupcakes without reacting with the icing. They'd be a great quick after dinner or movie time treat..so  many ideas to play with!

I can't think of anything bad about these except you may be tempted to eat the whole batch yourself!

May your nest be blessed,
Lisa

This post is also part of Mandarin Orange Monday


 



 

4 comments:

  1. Very artistic and yummy looking!

    Hopping from Mandarin Orange Monday.
    Bow and Arrow
    Have a great week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yumm! Now I know something new to do with all our oranges!
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy and beautiful to look at too. I love the way you arranged them and the patterns you made. Thank you for sharing on Mandarin Orange Monday:)

    ReplyDelete

Strangers are just friends we haven't met yet...thanks for dropping by to say hi!