Sunday, February 17, 2013

Frugal Banana Fritters



There has been an unexpected bonus to having to learn to adapt to my new grocery budget...the rediscovery of long lost recipes from my own childhood. One of these is fritters.


Lately I have rediscovered vegetable fritters, corn fitters and now banana fritters. Just the idea of a simple, warm, soft fritter automatically evokes a feeling of comfort in me. There's only one fritter from my childhood that I am not keen to revisit and that's lambs brain fritters. Ewww. I am just not that hungry yet! Haha.

Today's banana fritters were born from the necessity to whip up something healthy, filling and loved by all 3 kids without eggs, sugar or anything fancy like condensed milk. I also didn't want to be turning the oven on for one thing. Thanks goodness for Pinterest!

I made little bite sized ones because I was aiming for a nibble sized fritter. I also envisioned them sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar too but the 'test run' had the kids saying they were better without..I never saw that coming!

Here's the recipe for the fritters, I adapted it from a few I found on line.


4 medium mashed bananas
10 TBLSP Flour ( I used white but it could easily be gluten free or another alternative)
3 TBLSP cold water
1 tsp baking soda

Combine wet then dry until you have a pikelet like batter.
Drop a tablespoon size dollop of batter into hot oil and shallow fry until lightly browned.

I used canola oil but I think they would have been crisper if fried them in butter, will try that next time!

May your nest be blessed,
Lisa



No comments:

Post a Comment

Strangers are just friends we haven't met yet...thanks for dropping by to say hi!