Sunday, June 9, 2013

She sees sea shells. DIY Shell Candles

 Blue candles, sea shells...a perfect pairing!


I just love how these look like rock pools on the beach!



To make these pretties I used a small gas cooker and steel bowl to melt down the candles. I held the bowl just above the heat to stop it from heating too quickly and becoming a smokey mess for the chunks had melted.

I snipped the wick strings into 7 small pieces, which is how many shell candles I got from 1 standard candle. The wax sets quickly as the shells are shallow so I waited a minute or so and stood the wick where I wanted it. It only took a few seconds for it to stand by itself and then I could move onto the next shell. (I used a sharp knife to cut the hard wax away from the wicks before melting them.)

Later in the year we are having a coastal themed 16th/21st birthday party. These are going to be so pretty scattered on the tables! As the wicks are small and the wax shallow I don't expect these to burn long so I am making around 100 for 8 tables that way we can replenish them as they night goes on.  I have plans for other colours and shell types too so watch this space!

May your nest be blessed,
Lisa






No comments:

Post a Comment

Strangers are just friends we haven't met yet...thanks for dropping by to say hi!