Tuesday, October 22, 2013

7 Deadly Sins.

For the 2nd year in a row one of my children has asked to do Halloween. We've never done Halloween.
Last year we went to a light party run by a local group as an alternative to the dark but this year the kids are too old. (I have 2 teens and a nearly teen.) I played with other 'een' ideas. Marshmellow-een, Yellow-een, Green-o-een etc. I also considered an Irish Halloween so we could focus on traditions and heritage. Nothing quite fit so I kept thinking and eventually came up with THE SEVEN DEADLY SINS as a theme for a Halloween countdown and FRUITS OF THE SPIRIT as the theme for our NOT Halloween Party on the 31st. I hope the kids will be as excited as I am about this!



Come along and countdown with us....if you dare!

I made tags...
 Decorated...
 (This was a surprise in the morning!)
And left them a dare....

Each sin will have relevant discussions and activities so they will get the treats and I get to feel like we did Halloween without compromising my own values.
Today's sin is GREED. I printed out the parable of the greedy spider (how the spider got a skinny waist) and emailed this link on the Detroit bankruptcy problems to my eldest. Finally, I wrote out the recipe for the Spider Drink I remember from my own child hood.If I had bought plastic spiders yesterday instead of a giant bat I would have made the cool spider ice cubes below too.
Freeze plastic spiders for drinks 
There's always next year!

I don't plan on doing a formal lesson on Greed. I am hoping the kids will think on this themselves and take away the related ideas from each activity, they're old enough to know about greed.

Watch this space for the rest of the countdown!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Strangers are just friends we haven't met yet...thanks for dropping by to say hi!